Vulnerability Disclosure Program
Enabling Location Permissions on Android
Sphero's Unsolicited Ideas Policy
Airplane Travel with Sphero
Where Did the Sphero Mini App Go?
Sphero Mini Disconnects when Plugged In
Sphero Mini FAQ
Getting Started with Sphero Mini
Sphero Mini's Lights
Sphero Mini Connection Troubleshooting
Sphero Mini Soccer FAQ
Sphero Mini EDU 16 Pack FAQ
BOLT Power Pack
BOLT Power Pack Tips
Charging and Setting Up BOLT
Charging Cradle Compatibility
Condensation Inside Sphero BOLT
Prolonging BOLT Battery Life (Deep Sleep)
BOLT at Home Guide
Sphero RVR Warnings
Drawing power for the USB and UART ports
Missing UART Cable
Lost Charging Cable?
RVR Battery FAQ
Getting Started with RVR
Lost Battery Key?
Cleaning RVR's Wheels
Ollie Dies Quickly After a Full Charge
Ollie and Darkside Security
Ollie Device Compatibility
Specdrums MIX Device Compatibility
Specdrums Edu Device Compatibility
Windows and MacOS MIDI
Number of Rings that can Connect to App
Number of Colors Specdrums can Play
Specdrums MIX Tutorial: Getting Started
Are Specdrums Waterproof?
Specdrums Battery Life
Specdrums MIX Tutorial: Customizing Packs
What Colors can Specdrums Play?
Specdrums MIX Tutorial: Recording and Sharing a Song
What objects can be played with Specdrums?
Specdrums EDU 12 Pack FAQ
Specdrums Edu App not Making Noise
Replacement Ring FAQ
Spedrums MIX "Share" Feature not Available
Pairing Sphero with a Device
Sphero Quick Start Guide
Sphero Light not Working
Sphero's Bluetooth Range
Sphero Firmware Updates
Is Sphero Waterproof?
Sphero not Holding a Charge
Unable to Update Firmware
Sphero isn't Charging
What is Boost Mode?
Connecting Sphero to Device
Sphero not Following Driving Instructions
Sphero is Glowing Blue + White - Not Connecting
Sphero SPRK Edition
SPRK+ Power Pack
Power Pack charging base stopped working
Can I charge other Sphero robots in the Power Pack?
Power Pack dimensions and specifications
Power Pack modes and light indicator
One of the SPRK+ robots in my Power Pack won't connect.
How can I purchase a Power Pack?
Using the SPRK+ Power Pack
SPRK+ Power Pack General Information
Using the Protractor + Maze Tape
What's the difference between SPRK+ and SPRK Edition?
SPRK+ not Holding a Charge
SPRK+ Charging Solutions
SPRK+ not Connecting
Condensation Inside Sphero SPRK+
Getting SPRK+ in my Classroom
Prolonging SPRK+ Battery Life (Deep Sleep)
Connecting SPRK+ to a Device
BOLT Upgrade Program
Activity Cards Available Languages
Code Mat Dimensions
Code Mat Compatible Robots
Code Mat App Compatibility
Activity Card Information
How many Students can use the Code Mat?
Can I Buy Additional Activity Cards?
Computer Science Foundations
Using Computer Science Foundations
Purchasing Computer Science Foundations
Accessing Computer Science Foundations
Which Robots work with CS Foundations?
Sphero Edu: Important Notifications
Changing support for iOS 9 in the Fall of 2020
Update: Sphero Compatibility with Chrome OS
Sphero Q&A: Chrome OS Update
Robot Keeps Disconnecting
Important RVR Firmware Update
Which Robot is Best for my Needs?
Sphero EDU Device Compatibility
Sphero Edu Class Codes
Verifying your Child's Sphero Edu Account
Verify Teacher Identity
Changing my Child's Password
Programming with Sphero Edu
In The Classroom
Change My Language
Privacy and Security
Sphero Edu QR Codes
Downloading Sphero Edu on Microsoft Devices
Sphero Edu + Clever
Difficulties with Google Sign In
Locating Missing Programs
Sphero Edu Android App on Chromebooks
Sphero Edu app (Windows vs. Chrome)
Getting Started with Sphero Edu
Classroom Management Tools
Sphero Edu + Google Classrooms
Sphero Edu Webinars
-999 Error Code
Making my Programs Public
Downloading the Sphero Play App
Using Scream Drive
Sphero Play Device Compatibility
Programming with Sphero Play
Choosing Language Preference
Downloading Sphero Play
Unable to Access Golf Drive
Privacy + Security
Face Drive not Available
R2-D2 Bluetooth Range
Is R2-D2 Waterproof?
R2-D2 Play Modes
Putting R2-D2 into Deep Sleep
Power Requirements for Charging R2-D2
Is R2-D2 Compatible with Force Band?
Troubleshooting R2-D2 Connection Issues
R2-D2 Patrol Mode
R2-D2 Battery Life
R2-D2 Draw and Drive Mode
Connecting R2-D2 to a Device
Ultimate Lightning McQueen
Lightning McQueen's Suspension Stuck
Lightning McQueen Care
Lightning McQueen not Driving
Lightning McQueen not Connecting to Device
Is Lightning McQueen Waterproof?
Charging Lightning McQueen
Lightning McQueen Stuck Updating
Connecting to Lightning McQueen
Ultimate Lightning McQueen Device Compatibility
Lightning McQueen Muted
Unboxing and Setting up Lightning McQueen
Lightning McQueen Play Modes
Changing BB-9E's Speed
Connecting to BB-9E
BB-9E's Battery Life
Is BB-9E Waterproof?
BB-9E not Driving in Correct Direction
What do BB-9E's Lights Mean?
BB-9E's Head not Lighting Up
Putting BB-9E in Deep Sleep
Power Required to Charge BB-9E
Is BB-9E Compatible with Force Band?
Differences between BB-9E and BB-8
Waking BB-9E from Deep Sleep
BB-9E Play Modes
Not all Holocrons Showing in the Armory
Force Band Keeps Reverting to the Blaster
Putting Force Band into Sleep Mode
Updating Force Band out of the Box
What do the Different Force Band Lights Mean?
Force Band Button Menu
Wrong Force Band Connected to App
Force Band FAQ
Troubleshooting Force Band Connection Issues
Force Band Training Series
Updating Force Band Firmware
Only Getting Han's Blaster when Collecting Holocrons
Nothing Happening when Pressing Force Band Button
Wearing Force Band
Charging Force Band
Star Wars Droids App by Sphero
Watch With Me Mode (Star Wars)
Using Droid Interactions
Droids App Crashes during Watch with Me
Driving Droids with the Droids App
Droid not Connecting to Droids App
Connecting a Droid to Droids App
Star Wars Droids App Device Compatibility
Droid Interactions in the Droids App
Missing Features in Android App
Spider-Man's Battery Life
What do Spider-Man's Lights Mean?
Unboxing and Setting up Spider-Man
Spider-Man Wakes up Without being Prompted
Spider-Man not Connecting to WiFi
Does Spider-Man Move?
Is Spider-Man Waterproof?
Difficulties Downloading Spider-Man App
Does Spider-Man work with other Sphero Apps?
Setting an Alarm on Spider-Man
How to Put Spider-Man in Deep Sleep + Wake Him Up
Spider-Man not Responding or Understanding
Changing Spider-Man's Volume
Enabling Guard Mode
Spider-Man Voice Commands
Spider Man has Wrong Date or Time
Spider-Man doesn't Understand Child's Voice
Using Spider-Man without WiFi
Troubleshooting Spider-Man Connection Issues
Connecting to Spider-Man
Spider-Man Play Modes
Spider-Man Privacy Information
Recommended Age for Spider-Man
Spider-Man Device Compatibility
Watch With Me Mode (Spider-Man)
Powering Spider-Man On and Off
Connecting Spider-Man to a Device
BB-8's Lights Flashing
Using BB-8 Voice Commands
Recording a Hologram
Waking BB-8 from Deep Sleep
BB-8's Bluetooth Range
Is BB-8 Waterproof?
Lost or Damaged BB-8 Head
BB-8 Voice Commands
Putting BB-8 in Deep Sleep
BB-8™ Tech Specs
BB-8 Charger Animations
Difference Between Battle-Worn and Original BB-8
BB-8 Training Video
Getting Started with BB-8
BB-8 Not Charging
How do I use the Draw and Drive feature for BB-8?
Android Error Message 907 Or 963
Legacy Products - Important Notice
Hall of Fame Kits
Hall of Fame Kit Instructions
Are the Templates in the Bubble Bot Waterproof?
Empty Compartment upon Opening
Sound Trigger not Holding a Sound for 3 Seconds
Can I Combine Kits to Make Extra Inventions?
Education Starter Kit
STEAM Student Set
How Many Students can use the STEAM Student Set?
I've Finished all the Projects. What's Next?
What Standards can I Meet with the STEAM Student Set?
Available Lessons and Curriculum
Leaning to Use the STEAM Student Set
General littleBits Questions
Disinfect littleBits with UV Light
Taking Care of Bits in the Classroom
Lessons and Curriculum for Educators
Droid Inventor Kit
Droid Inventor App not Connecting to Control Hub
Droid Servo Alignment Off Center
Trouble Recording Secret Message
Part of Droid is Broken
Missing or Lost Part
Droid Inventors App Device Compatibility
Connecting Droid Inventor App to Control Hub
Droid Plastic Replacement Parts - 3D Files
Droid Inventor Kit Instructions
littleBits Inventor Kits
Instructions for the Base Inventor, Electronic Music Inventor, and Space Rover Inventor Kits
littleBits Needed for the "Inventing with littleBits" JAM Course (now DIY.org)?
Avengers Hero Inventor Kit
Smart Device Needed for the Avengers Hero Inventor Kit
Hero Inventor Kit Troubleshooting
Avengers Hero Inventor Kit Instructions
Purchasing the Avengers Hero Inventor Kit
littleBits Code Kit
Code was Uploaded, but Circuit doesn't Show Expected Output
What standards can I Meet with the Code Kit?
Is my Code Kit Circuit Set Up Correctly?
Is Prior Experience Needed for the Code Kit?
Will this Work with the Bits I Already Have?
Code Kit Device Compatibility
Debugging littleBits Code
Code Kit Debugging Checklist
Installing littleBits Code Kit app in the Classroom
Difficulty Connecting codeBit to Computer
I'm not a Teacher - Can I Buy This?
What Kind of Code Does this Teach?
Gizmos & Gadgets Kit 2nd Edition
How do littleBits Work?
What can you Create with littleBits?
How do you Use littleBits?
What are littleBits?
How do Sphero Robots Work?
Do Sphero Robots include a Camera?
What is Sphero?
Coding Languages and your Sphero App-Enabled Robot
What Ages are Sphero Robots for?
Sphero + littleBits Self-Service Resources
Can you Code with Sphero Robots?
What Coding Language do Sphero Robots Use?
What Games can I Play with Sphero?
What's Inside of a Sphero Robot?
What can Sphero Robots Do?
How do you Program Sphero Robots?
What are Sphero Programmable Robots?
Can the Batteries be Replaced?
Warranties + Returns
Can you Refund the Tax on My Order?
I Need to Cancel my Order
I Need to Change my Shipping Address
SpheroCare - Protecting your Robots + Bits
There is Something Wrong with my Order
Orders + Shipping
Placing a Tax Exempt Order
How do I use a Purchase Order?
Request a Quote
When will my Order Arrive?
Sphero W-9 and Sole Source Letter
How are your Products Shipped?
What Payment Methods do you Accept?
Creating an Online Account
Become a Reseller of Sphero or littleBits Products
New Jersey Business Certificate
Declarations of Conformity
Holiday Shipping Cutoffs
US Military Addresses (APO/FPO)
Updated by Micah Daby
Starting on August 31st, 2020, a new version of firmware will be available for RVR. This download will update the firmware for the Nordic SoC to version 8.3.432 and the ST SoC to version 8.6.448.
How Do I Update My RVR Firmware?
To successfully update your RVR firmware, you'll need:
- Your Sphero RVR.
- A supported iOS or Android device, with Sphero Edu installed. Learn about supported devices here. Please ensure you are using the latest Sphero Edu app. In particular, you will need Sphero Edu 6.0.1 or newer on Android to update the RVR firmware.
- Ensure your Sphero RVR is charged and powered "on".
- Ensure that your supported mobile device is connected to the internet (Wi-Fi or a cellular connection).
- Start the Sphero Edu app on your supported device and connect to your Sphero RVR.
- The Sphero RVR firmware update will automatically start. Depending on your device, this may take between three and 7 minutes.
- To confirm you have the correct firmware, click on the "connect" button and review the firmware numbers. You should see 8.3.432, 8.6.448.
Will This Update Affect My Existing Sphero Edu Programs?
Since the performance of RVR will fundamentally change with this firmware update, you may notice that your RVR behaves a little differently when using your Sphero Edu programs:
- The addition of vector drive enhancements means greater accuracy when RVR turns. However, you may need to increase roll block time to allow RVR to properly turn to the target heading.
- The top speed for RVR has been slightly increased. As a result, you may need to adjust the speed settings within various blocks.
What About the Public SDK?
To take advantage of many new firmware features, you'll need to get the latest public SDK for RVR. For more information about our public SDKs for RVR, visit our SDK website here.
Full RVR Firmware Change Log:
Previously, one driving control system was available to users through roll commands, requiring a target heading and a target speed, with an optional reverse flag.
This update replaces the “roll drive” controller with a higher-performing, more configurable implementation and supplements it with 3 selectable alternate control systems. All control systems present a normalized interface, similar to current roll commands, and an SI units interface where linear velocities are specified in m/s and yaw angular velocity (if applicable) is specified in degrees/s.
Improvement: Higher Top Speed
- Actual top speed increased to 2 m/s (maximum speed will eventually drop below this as the battery discharges)
Improvements: Drive with Heading
- Vector drive state machine
- State 1: If currently stopped, spin in place to face the target heading
- State 2: Drive along the target heading
- User-adjustable yaw and linear velocity slew rates.
- Default yaw slew behavior is dependent on the magnitude of the commanded linear velocity (to make deliberate, slow driving easier).
- Yaw targets are typically hit within +/-1 degree of the IMU reading. Previous tolerance was +/- 3 degrees.
- Steady-state yaw error during driving tracks to zero across the full linear velocity range (a bug had previously reduced yaw control accuracy at high linear velocities)
- Driving upside down now works.
New: Drive to X-Y Position
- Provide a target position and orientation as (X,Y,yaw), along with a maximum linear velocity, and RVR will rotate to face the target position, drive to the target position, and then turn to the specified orientation, sending an API async when done.
- Defaults to driving forward to the target position, but supports options for reverse driving, or automatic selection of forward or reverse to minimize the required initial turn.
- Supports relative or absolute coordinates
New: RC Drive
- Provide a linear velocity, and a yaw angular velocity, and RVR will follow that command until it times out (default 2 seconds) or a new command is received.
- Supports multiple adjustable options for linear acceleration rates, so your project can keep delicate payloads safe, or put the pedal to the metal.
New: Tank Drive
- Provide left and right tread linear velocity targets in normalized or SI units form, and RVR will track these targets. If your goal is to build an externally hosted control system, this is a much more useful interface layer to use than raw motor commands, as the onboard velocity controllers update at 1kHz and the maximum streaming data update rate to provide feedback to an external control system is 100 Hz.
New: Stop Controller
- Previously, the only ways to stop the robot have been to shut off the motors completely or to specify a target heading with a target speed of zero, which continued to control heading for 2 seconds before guaranteeing the motors would be off.
- Now RVR will come to a controlled stop after a command timeout or after receiving a stop command. Braking acceleration is adjustable using API commands.
New: Adjustable Drive Command Timeouts
- Previously, drive commands timed out after 2(ish) seconds. Timeout precision has been dramatically improved (should be within 1 ms), and timeout duration is now adjustable via API command.
- Encoder position resolution has increased 4x due to counting all quadrature edges as ticks rather than full quadrature cycles.
- Velocity measurement has improved with changes to the encoder driver.
- Tick counts for the left and right encoders are available as 32 bit signed integer values through a getter command and the streaming data interface.
- RVR’s locator precision is improved. There was a bug that caused loss of precision at low tread velocities, which has been fixed. Precision is now independent of tread velocity.
- A new command, Disable Notifications and Active Commands, turns off external notifications and cancels some actions as a convenience for restarting SDK programs. The following items are affected by this command:
- Streaming packets
- Current sense amplifier notifications
- Gyro notifications
- Infrared module
- Motor fault notifications
- Motor thermal protection notifications
- All driving
Other Bug Fixes
- Idle to “soft sleep” (standby) transition now occurs after 5 minutes, as designed, to reduce power consumption.
- Resolved “lurching” bug in the roll drive controller.
- API packets requesting only error responses are now forwarded correctly between processors.